TeePublic, the world’s fastest growing community of independent artists & designers is seeking an ambitious, Senior Backend Engineer.
TeePublic was founded in 2013 by the team at BustedTees (already a leader in the online t-shirt space) with the mission to create the perfect environment for artists to interact, design and sell their work. We’ve struck a nerve within the design community and have had significant month over month revenue growth for 33 months in a row. TeePublic is one of the fastest growing startups in New York, but we're profitable and debt free. This job candidate will have the chance to be on the ground floor and run and own a business segment from an engineering standpoint.
This engineer will tackle the technical challenges of scaling our Ruby on Rails application for millions of designs and billions of SKUs. This person will identify bottlenecks within the platform, lead efforts to make them blazing fast, and ensure future work is just as fast and endlessly scalable. The ideal candidate has heard people say that say that "Rails is just slow" and shakes their head at how wrong that is. Additionally, this person will scale our engineering culture as we transition from a reliance on Vanilla Rails to future-proof design patterns and development practices.
- Lead platform development efforts, with an eye towards scalability, reliability, and performance.
- Track and monitor performance across applications, databases, and services.
- Supervise efforts to refactor a large Ruby on Rails application to prevent future problems.
- Manage deployments, pull requests, and application lifecycle.
- Improve team efficiency by contributing to DevOps efforts.
- Ability to self-direct and accomplish tasks both solo and within a larger team effort.
Experience and Skills
- Expertise with Ruby on Rails framework and the web stack that supports it (in our case, Rack and Puma)
- Ability to implement and analyze performance from a variety of sources (NewRelic, Skylight, Kibana)
- Master of Rails design patterns used to manage complex codebases.
- Application Management on Heroku or another PaaS Provider (AWS, GCP, Azure, DigitalOcean).
- Advocate of development best practices (Testing, Monitoring, DevOps, Continuous Deployment)
- Comfortable working within an agile development environment.
- Experience across our stack (ElasticSearch, Neo4j, Image Processing, Redis, Memcached)
- Knowledge of in-browser performance a major plus.
- Previous experience refactoring large code bases past Vanilla Rails design patterns.
- Previous E-Commerce experiences and familiarity with metrics that define success.
- 5+ years of Ruby on Rails Experience
- BS in Computer Science